The Global, Cultural and Language Studies Major will provide you with intercultural knowledge, experience and tools to create positive change and help to build strong, diverse communities.
- Global studies will help you understand cultural identity and power structures at both local and global levels.
- Cultural studies combines the strengths of both social sciences and humanities by connecting language, history, anthropology, literary studies, and the arts.
- Language study provides not only the skills to communicate in another language, but also the ability to collaborate with another culture from the inside.
Global, Cultural and Language Studies will give you a chance to explore cultural, economic, political, and personal identities, to think critically about the fundamental issues facing the world today, and to get out into the community to put your passion for social justice into action!
A few of the areas students might investigate as part of the GCL major include:
- cultural and social theory;
- sustainable development;
- cultural knowledge and revitalization in indigenous communities;
- community activism;
- peace and conflict;
- human rights.