The Global, Cultural and Language Studies Minor will provide you with intercultural knowledge, experience and tools to create positive change and help to build strong, diverse communities.
- Global studies will help you understand cultural identity and power structures at both local and global levels.
- Cultural studies combines the strengths of both social sciences and humanities by connecting language, history, anthropology, literary studies, and the arts.
- Language study provides not only the skills to communicate in another language, but also the ability to collaborate with another culture from the inside.
Global, Cultural and Language Studies will give students a chance to explore cultural, economic, political, and personal identities, to think critically about the fundamental issues facing the world today, and to get out into the community to put your passion for social justice into action.
A few of the areas students might investigate as part of the GCL major include:
- cultural and social theory;
- sustainable development;
- cultural knowledge and revitalization in indigenous communities;
- community activism;
- peace and conflict;
- human rights
Students with the Global, Cultural and Language Studies minor will:
- Understand language as integral to intercultural competence;
- Achieve world language fluency at the intermediate-mid level following ACTFL (American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages) Proficiency Guidelines;
- Articulate the role of culture in shaping perception, behavior, attitudes and beliefs;
- Analyze the issues and problems posed by living and working in an increasingly interconnected global community;
- Apply interdisciplinary approaches to formulate creative solutions to contemporary global challenges;
- Evaluate how the integrated knowledge of another language and culture informs actions leading to social justice and peace
Students must achieve the following program requirements for all courses listed under "Program Required Courses" for the Global, Cultural, and Language Studies minor.
Minor Credits: 28
Program Required Courses
|GCL 1101||Introduction to Global, Cultural and Language Studies||4|
|Sixteen credits of additional GCL courses||16|
|Language and Cultural Study 1||8|
Students must complete 8 credits of language and culture study beyond 1112 with a minimum GPA of 2.75