The Department of Global, Cultural and Language Studies at The College of St. Scholastica offers both a major and a minor in Spanish. The courses in the program combine academic and experiential learning to prepare students with the linguistic and cultural skills to engage in responsible living and meaningful work in Spanish-language contexts. Through the exploration of language, history, culture, literature, service-learning, and contemporary issues in the Spanish-speaking world, the major and minor encourage communicative competency and the appropriate interpersonal/intercultural skills in both foreign and domestic settings. The programs prepare students with a solid background for work in or continued learning about Spanish and Latinx cultures.
The student completing the Spanish minor will be able to:
- Handle most communicative tasks and social situations, and be able to initiate, sustain, and close a general conversation using a wide variety of communicative strategies, including circumlocutions with pronunciation that is easily intelligible to native speakers.
- Understand and respond appropriately to longer stretches of connected discourse in Spanish on a variety of topics that employ all tenses and moods.
- Read and respond critically to prose of several paragraphs in length, such as short stories, news items, correspondence and general technical, cultural, and historical texts.
- Write cohesive summaries, narratives, and essays.
- Identify, discuss, and analyze intangible products of Spanish, Latin American and/or Latinx cultures and societies.
Students must achieve the following program requirements for all courses listed under Program Requirements and Program Required Courses for the Spanish minor.
Minor Credits: 20
Program Required Courses
20 credits beyond the level of SPN 1112 Beginning Spanish Language and Culture II.
|SPN 2101||Intermediate Spanish I 1 ||4|
|or SPN 2102|| Intermediate Spanish II|
|SPN 3101||Advanced Spanish in Context I 2 ||4|
|or SPN 3102|| Advanced Spanish in Context II|
|Cuentos cortos en español|
|Topics in Hispanic Culture and Civilization (Topics in Hispanic Literature)|
|Mitos y Leyendas en Español|
|Masterpieces of Hispanic Literature|
|The Other Americas 4|
|Modern Latin American History 4|
|Civilización y cultura de España|
|Civilización y cultura de Latinoamérica|
|Perspectivas Culturales Latin@s|