This program is specifically designed for students seeking Minnesota licensure (grades 5-12 or 9-12). Note: more than four years are required to complete the licensure requirements unless students enter the college with advanced standing.
Upon completion of a Chemistry Middle/Secondary Education degree, students will:
- Practice critical reflection in the analysis and improvement of their teaching.
- Demonstrate a sound foundation of content knowledge in the subject areas they teach.
- Understand and implement best practices in their teaching.
- Demonstrate the dispositions critical to effective teaching.
- Practice responsive teaching that meets the diverse needs of all students in their classrooms.
- Collaborate effectively with stakeholders (e.g. parents, K-12 administrators, community members) to enhance student learning.
Students must achieve the following program requirements for all courses listed under "Program Required Courses" for the Chemistry major with Middle/Secondary Education.
Major Credits: 108-109
Major Residency Credits: 16
Minimum GPA: 2.8
Minimum Grade: C-
Program Required Courses
|BIO 1104||Life Science||4|
|CHM 1110||General Chemistry I 2||4|
|CHM 1120||General Chemistry II 2||4|
|CHM 2200||Organic Chemistry I 2||4|
|CHM 2210||Organic Chemistry II 2||4|
|CHM 3000||Analytical Chemistry 2||4|
|CHM 3240||Biochemistry I||4|
|CHM 3460||Physical Chemistry I||4|
|CHM 4020||Inorganic Chemistry 2||4|
|MTH 2221||Calculus I||4|
|MTH 2222||Calculus II||4|
|NSC/PSC 4150||Science, Technology and Culture||4|
|PSC 1202||Cosmic Systems||4|
|PSC 2001||Physics I (and Lab)||4|
|PSC 2002||Physics II (and Lab)||4|
|NSC 3333||Science Methods||4|
|Middle/Secondary Education Courses 1||44-45|
Chemistry Secondary Education students should also review the Middle/Secondary and K-12 Education Licensure Program requirements published by the Education Department for required coursework in education.
Course includes a Lecture and Lab component.
Total Credits: 128
Upper Division Credits: 42
Residency Requirement: 32
Minimum GPA: 2.0