This program is specifically designed for students seeking Minnesota licensure (grades 5-12 or 9-12). Note: more than four years are required to complete the licensure requirements unless students enter the college with advanced standing.
Upon completion of a Chemistry Middle/Secondary Education degree, students will:
- Practice critical reflection in the analysis and improvement of their teaching.
- Demonstrate a sound foundation of content knowledge in the subject areas they teach.
- Understand and implement best practices in their teaching.
- Demonstrate the dispositions critical to effective teaching.
- Practice responsive teaching that meets the diverse needs of all students in their classrooms.
- Collaborate effectively with stakeholders (e.g. parents, K-12 administrators, community members) to enhance student learning.
Students must achieve the following program requirements for all courses listed under Program Requirements and Program Required Courses for the Chemistry Middle/Secondary Education major.
Major Credits: 108-109
Major Residency Credits: 16
Minimum GPA: 2.8
Minimum Grade: C in EDU Courses
Minimum Grade: C- in all other program courses
|Chemistry Content Core Courses|
|BIO 1104||Life Science||4|
|CHM 1110||General Chemistry I 1||4|
|CHM 1120||General Chemistry II 1||4|
|CHM 2200||Organic Chemistry I 1||4|
|CHM 2210||Organic Chemistry II 1||4|
|CHM 3000||Analytical Chemistry 1||4|
|CHM 3240||Biochemistry I||4|
|CHM 3460||Physical Chemistry I||4|
|CHM 4020||Inorganic Chemistry 1||4|
|MTH 2221||Calculus I||4|
|MTH 2222||Calculus II||4|
|NSC 4150||Science, Technology, and Society||4|
|PSC 1202||Cosmic Systems||4|
|PSC 2001||Physics I (and Lab)||4|
|PSC 2002||Physics II (and Lab)||4|
|NSC 3333||Science Methods||4|
|Middle/Secondary Education Courses 2||44-45|
Course includes a Lecture and Lab component.
Chemistry education students should also review the Middle/Secondary and K-12 Education Licensure Program requirements published by the Education Department for required coursework in education
Total Credits: 128
Upper Division Credits: 42
Residency Requirement: 32
Minimum GPA: 2.0